Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Love your enemies, it's your choice.

 


Love your enemies, how do we love our enemies? Christ is not telling us to be lovey dovey to our enemies. He’s telling us with an act of will to choose to love them. How we can show them love, we can pray for them. In order to love your enemy you have to forgive them. You have to let them go in your spirit. It’s not always easy but it is necessary for your peace. When I was growing up I was sexually abused by a close family friend. My heart was full of anger toward him and others. In order for me to have the life I wanted I had to make changes. I needed to find peace about the situation. The way I was able to achieve this was through a bible study about forgiveness. First I had to forgive him, I had to make the choice to stop being angry about what happen. I choose to let it go. I prayed for him, and prayed some more. Finally God put it on my heart that I had to love him. I loved him from a distance, what I chose to do was continue to pray for him. Then I took it a step further, I wrote him a letter. In this letter I told him I forgave him, I was praying for him and I shared Christ with him. I have no clue if this was a help to him or if he even cared but I do know that it helped me tremendously. I found peace; I was no longer thinking about the situation constantly, I was no longer angry. Today I encourage you to find it in your hearts to love your enemy.

Prayer: Heavenly Father I thank you for today. I chose to love my enemies. I chose to forgive them and let them go. Show me how to love. Show me how you want me to love and treat others. Touch my heart so that it is full of the good things you want me to show others. Direct me so I may follow your ways. In Jesus name I pray.

Read Luke 6:27-36
 

No comments:

Post a Comment